Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Rising Interest Rates on Student Loans

There have been three speeches that President Obama has made to encourage Congress from doubling of student loans interest rates.  I listened to our President’s speech and it really feels good to know that he can relate to having student loans because all of us don’t have money to just pay for school.  Those that have the money to pay for school are very fortunate but, it is sad that the fortunate ones don’t understand what it is like to not have money to just pay for school.  Being low to middle class and having to pay more interest on our students is going to be really tight for some.  I know so many people that have a lot of student loan debit and over that time period to pay it back is going to be doubled that amount that would have been paid.  I really thank our President for addressing this increase in such detail.

This topic was picked because I know like me many of you have to get student loans.  It really hit home for me because to pay for school out of packet is very hard.  When I didn’t have any kids it was hard then and now being a full time mother, working, and part time student is even harder so, I’m very grateful to be able to get grants and loans to attend school.  Without financial aid I would not be able to attend school now.  I plan to call our local Congressman and tell them “Don’t double my rate!”

1 comment:

  1. In response to Tammiesview on her blog on raising student loans; she bring up a good point on student who graduate may have to live on paycheck per paycheck since they may be in debt because of student loans. But I feel student also have the option get the loans. Many are given grants and still chose to get the loan. There is also the option to join the military after graduation, and Uncle Sam will pay the loan off in return for six year of service. They could join the military and get the G.I.Bill, and it will pay them to attend school, all of this while they have a job, get paid, and their loans get paid off.

    I do understand that it is hard to work full time, be a parent, and a student. I read an article in the Washington Post and it stated that student loans will go up from 3.4 percent to 6.8 percent. I feel that it still is a good rate especially when the person is given the option to defer the loan. They don’t have to pay till they graduate or stop attending school. I would prefer if Congress would make it a flat rate instead of raising the percent

    http://hectorgovt2305.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete